Today (27th August) sees the launch of the very first Taste Salisbury, a celebration of our delicious local and regional food and drink.
Over the next ten days, there will be a programme of events, special promotions and discounts held across the city.
Salisbury BID, Experience Salisbury and Salisbury City Council have come together to produce the exciting city-wide feastival!
Venues including Salisbury Museum, Salisbury Arts Centre and Salisbury Cathedral are all involved. Arundells in the Cathedral Close also jumped at the chance to be part of the festivities, with their Perfect Pairing evening of food and drink already sold out.
Jess Kay, Events and Marketing Manager there, said: “Here at Arundells we were delighted to be asked to take part in Taste Salisbury, it is very important for us to be part of the local community, but we don’t have any obvious links to food or drink. We do however have a fabulous garden in the heart of Salisbury, so with the help of local business Artisan Wine & Spirit Co and performance chef Talk Eat Laugh we were able to come up with the idea of a wine tasting evening with a twist. We hope that the evening is a great success and that we can repeat it again in the future.”
Artisan Wine and Spirit Co are one of the newest businesses in Salisbury, having only launched in May 2021. They were keen to be part of the festivities, and are involved in two Taste Salisbury events: Perfect Pairings and beer tasting with local brewers, Dark Revolution.
Co-owner, Elizabeth Coombes, said it was important for them to be involved: “We were so excited when we heard about Taste Salisbury – it’s right up our street! There are so many great food and drinks businesses in the city and this is a brilliant opportunity for people to explore what Salisbury has to offer. We love food and wine (and spirits and beer!) so the chance to share that with the local community is an opportunity not to be missed. We can’t wait!”
Other events and promotions over the ten days include:
- Taste of the Caribbean Food and Music Festival at Brown Street (27th August)
- Learn how to taste beer with a guided tasting of local brew, Dark Revolution (1st September)
- Enjoy a teddy bears picnic at Salisbury Museum café (2nd September)
- All you can eat pizza at Pizza Venti (2nd September)
- Rifleman’s Table café in The Close will be serving special dishes during Taste Salisbury incorporating their delicious home-produced honey
- The Rocketship Bookshop will be offering money off The Viking Of Who Liked Icing, a brilliant new picture book by Lu Fraser and Mark McKinley!
- Experience the very best of modern British cuisine in a relaxed atmosphere with Allium’s special Taste Salisbury tasting menus
- Special Taste Salisbury menu at the Salisbury Cathedral Refectory
- Offers, including a two-course special, at Blue Boar Bistro
- SSSS – Soup, Salad, Sandwich, Sweet Menu at the Bell & Crown
- Salisbury City Council’s Foodie Sunday will take over the Market Place on Sunday 5th September and will mark the culmination of the ten-day festival – including The Great Salisbury Bake Off!
If you would like to be whisked away to some exotic location, then the Old Ale and Coffee House is the place to go! Over the ten days of Taste Salisbury, they will be offering a World Street Food menu based on their travels abroad. There will also be live music on Sunday 29th August.
Shane O’Neill, co-owner of the Old Ale House, was thrilled to be involved: “Sincerely, I think that after the torrid times we have been through it’s really important for people to come together and reunite. What better way than when sharing food and a drink. When the whole city does it together, then it really means something.”
After a tough couple of years for hospitality, Taste Salisbury offers businesses the perfect opportunity to showcase what they have to offer to local residents and visitors.
Dan Collins, Business Manager for Salisbury BID, said: “Recovery from the coronavirus pandemic will take time but we can all do our bit to help local hospitality venues by getting involved in these events and promotions. As well as offering support to businesses, Taste Salisbury will also bring a festival feel to the city centre – with fun, food and drinks, whatever your taste!”
You can find a full rundown of events and promotions on the Experience Salisbury dedicated Taste Salisbury page.