Fire safety concerns delay arrival of first asylum seekers on Bibby Stockholm barge

Asylum seekers will not be moved on to the controversial Bibby Stockholm barge on Tuesday as planned after last minute meetings responding to fire safety concerns, Sky News understands.

However, there is still a possibility that they could be moved on to the barge – which is currently docked in Portland on the coast of Dorset – later this week.

The first asylum seekers were originally due to move on to the barge last week, but Sky News reported that their arrival had been pushed back until Tuesday this week.

In a tweet on 18 July announcing its arrival, the Home Office said: “Next week the first asylum seekers will be moved to the vessel as part of a carefully structured plan which will increase the numbers gradually.”

However, the Times reported that serious safety concerns were raised about the facility and that approval from the fire service was outstanding.

One source told the paper of fears that the vessel could become a “floating Grenfell” – a reference to the fire that broke out at the West London tower block in 2017, killing 72 people.

Sunak defends oil and gas policy – as rift opens in Tory party – politics latest

A Home Office spokesperson said the vessel is “undergoing final preparations to ensure it complies with all appropriate regulations before the arrival of the first asylum seekers”.

“This is part of the government’s plan to reduce the use of expensive hotels and offer alternative accommodation that is more manageable and better value for communities, just like our European neighbours are already doing,” they added.

“We continue to work closely with Dorset and Portland councils, as well as the local NHS and police services, to manage any impact in Portland, including providing substantial funding to local services, to address the local community’s concerns.”

Ben Selby, the assistant general secretary of the Fire Brigades Union, said in response to the delay: “Unlike this government, fire does not discriminate.

“Forcing asylum seekers into accommodation that has not been properly fire risk assessed is a reckless approach to the safety and well-being of both vulnerable refugees and firefighters.

“The Home Office has declared that this plan is a cheaper option for housing asylum seekers. This is a damning indictment of the prevailing attitude that saving money is the highest priority, with people’s lives treated as collateral damage.

“Everyone has the right to live in safe accommodation and we back the calls urging these plans are abandoned immediately.”

The 222-bedroom barge will start housing 50 single men initially before housing up to 500 people who are currently staying in hotels.

It is just one of a number of alternative sites the government has located to end the use of hotels, which is costing the taxpayer around £6m a day.

As well as the barge, the Home Office also plans to move people into disused military sites – including RAF Scampton in Lincolnshire and Wethersfield Airfield in Essex – and into marquees.

However, the plans to move 2,000 migrants and asylum seekers to RAF Scampton have also hit a stumbling block until October, after there were setbacks in conducting surveys on the 14 buildings designated for migrant accommodation.

Read more:

‘Routine’ housing of unaccompanied child asylum seekers in hotels is unlawful, High Court rules

Suella Braverman gives police ‘full support’ to ramp up use of stop and search

Asked about the delay on Monday, the prime minister’s press secretary said: “Work is ongoing to open [the] site at Scampton and we want that work to be done as soon as possible.

“I can’t get into running commentary on expected timelines but eventually the site will accommodate almost 2,000 people.”

The Times also reported that more migrants will be moved into accommodation at RAF Wethersfield despite a number of positive results for tuberculosis being detected at the site.

Last week separate plans by the home secretary, Suella Braverman, to accommodate thousands of migrants in marquees at disused military sites were criticised as “staggering” and “cruel” by a leading refugee charity.

The tents will start to be erected over the coming weeks as part of emergency plans to deal with an expected surge of Channel crossings over the next few months.

A source from the Home Office confirmed to Sky News that the tents could be up and running to house migrants within weeks.

You might also like...

P