Bournemouth hijack Wolves move for Alex Scott with £25m bid for Bristol City midfielder

Alex Scott takes on Riyad Mahrez - Bournemouth hijack Wolves move for Alex Scott with £25m bid for Bristol City midfielder

Alex Scott earned praise from Pep Guardiola and Jack Grealish following his performance in the FA Cup tie with Manchester City in February – Action Images via Reuters/Paul Childs

Bournemouth are in advanced talks with Bristol City over a £25 million deal for Alex Scott, in a move which will further frustrate Wolves head coach Julen Lopetegui.

Scott is understood to be closing in on a move to Bournemouth, with the two clubs nearing an agreement on a deal to take the midfielder to the Premier League.

Championship club Bristol City have turned down two offers from Wolves this summer and have stuck rigidly to their stance that the fee is £25 million.

Bournemouth are now moving to complete a deal, with Lopetegui set to miss out on his No 1 transfer target as Wolves struggle to comply with financial regulations.

Scott, 19, is known as the ‘Guernsey Grealish’ and has two years left on his contract at his current club, who are managed by Nigel Pearson.

He earned the praise of Manchester City’s Pep Guardiola and £100 million forward Jack Grealish after the FA Cup tie between the two clubs in February this year.

Earlier this week Pearson insisted that the club’s valuation would have to be met if the teenager was to leave.

He said: “I don’t know how many bids there have been, as far as I’m concerned we’ve made our stance quite clear as a football club and that is for somebody to gain the opportunity to talk to him we’re talking about £25 million.

“We don’t want to sell him, that’s why we’re pricing him the way that we are, and actually having seen him since the start of pre-season we should be asking £30 million for him, never mind £25 million.

“The bottom line is we as a club have said ‘he’s going to cost £25 million as a starting point’ and if something happens where he goes for less than that then I won’t be very happy, I can tell you that now.”

Bournemouth have been very active in this summer window and already signed Ivorian midfielder Hamed Traore, Milos Kerkez, Justin Kluivert, Romain Faivre and Ionut Radu.

Southamton let Caleta-Car leave

Croatia centre-back Duje Caleta-Car will undergo a medical at Lyon on Wednesday after Southampton agreed a deal for him to return to French football.

Caleta-Car, 26, was among the players considered likely to depart St Mary’s this summer following relegation from the Premier League, with Mohammed Salisu, Mislav Orsic and Ibrahima Diallo also leaving.

Lyon are familiar with Caleta-Car from his four years at Marseille before he moved to England. They have agreed a deal of €5 million (£4.29 million) for him to play under Laurent Blanc next season.

Prior to his first spell in Ligue 1 he was at Red Bull Salzburg where he had earned a place in the Croatia squad that reached the World Cup final in 2018. At Marseille he had interest from West Ham. Liverpool also approached Marseille in the January 2021 window but the French club did not have time to find a replacement.

Southampton captain James Ward-Prowse has been subject of an approach from West Ham in the last week but no agreement has been made between the clubs.

You might also like...